Japanese Noodles with Shimeji Mushroom

0 comments




I wish I had chosen to make this noodle dish with udon instead of soba.  Somehow the buckwheat taste doesn't go well with miso.  I should have guessed as much because I don't recall ever seeing soba noodles served in miso soup.  Anyway I am putting this down for records so that I will remember to try it again with udon that is!

To round off the meal, I made yakitori to go with the noodles.  Yakitori is a once in a while treat for the family because I find it quite time-consuming having to skew the chicken one piece at a time... and it didn't help that Elaina was in a cranky mood today.



Ingredients:

  • 7 ounces dried udon or soba (cooked according to instructions) 
  • 2 garlic cloves (minced) 
  • 6 ounces shimeji mushrooms 
  • 2 tablespoons light soy sauce 
  • 2 teaspoons miso paste 
  • 2 tablespoons finely minced parsley 


Preparation:

  • Heat oil in a skillet over a low heat and add the garlic cloves. Saute until fragrant. 
  • Turn up the heat and add the shimeji mushrooms and saute until the mushrooms are soft. 
  • Lower the heat and add a ladleful of water, soy sauce and the miso paste. Stir until the miso is dissolved well. 
  • Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper and leave the sauce to simmer. 
  • Add noodles to the sauce. Stir well to coat every noodle 
  • Serve with chopped parsley. 


Number of Servings: 2