Mummy's Fried Rice

0 comments

Finally something new to add to this blog! I have been in a "recycling mode" for the last 2 months due to lack of time either because of work or other commitments during the weekends. And when that happens, the inclination is to go for dishes that I can whip up without much thinking and with eyes closed. The maid being on home leave for 2 weeks added to that need since I had to juggle all the other household chores alone.

There are many variations to how a fried rice can be done. The ingredients can range from peas, corns, carrots, ham, luncheon meat, button mushroom to pine nuts. The list is contained only by one's imagination. For me, I still like it the the way my mum does it - char siew, Chinese sausage, eggs and spring onion. Perhaps I am bias because I grew up eating her fried rice and to me that is how it should be. I even recall that the zhi char stall had their fried rice done this way back when I was just a kiddo. It was only in the recent years that I started to see all sorts of ingredients being added to it.

When it comes to my fried rice, I am very anal particular about the size of the ingredients. I like it finely chopped, just so that all the ingredients can get into every mouthful. The taste is just not the same if otherwise.


Ingredients:

3 cups of jasmine rice (cooked and left in fridge overnight)
3 cloves of small onion (finely chopped)
3 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
5 stalks of spring onion (finely chopped and white colour end separately set side)
200 gm char siew (finely chopped)
2 Chinese sausage (case removed and finely chopped)
1 stick of carrot (finely chopped)
4 eggs (beaten and seasoned with light soy sauce)
Light soy sauce
Dark soy sauce (optional)


Preparation:

Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in wok.
Add garlic and onion to wok.
Once fragrant, mix in white end of the spring onions and allow the mixture to cook slightly.
Add in Chinese sausage and carrot.
Stir-fry Chinese sausage to almost 90% cooked.
Add in egg and continue to stir to create a scramble-liked texture.
While the egg is still a little runny, add in rice.
Break up any lumps of rice and mix thoroughly with ingredients in the wok.
Mix in char siew and spring onion.
Drizzle some dark soy sauce for added colour to rice (optional)
Season with light soy sauce to taste.


Number of Servings: 4 to 5