(The Remake of) Oyako Don (親子丼)

0 comments

For my life, I can't remember when was the last time I made Oyako Don.  At one point I was whipping this  so often that I could do it with my eyes close.  Revisited what I posted 2 years ago to look up the recipe and realised that the photo was utterly crappy and I didn't revise the post to record the tweaks that I had made to the original recipe.  Gosh!

So here it goes again....


Ingredients: 
  • 3/4 cup dashi 
  • 2 tablespoon sugar 
  • 4 tablespoon mirin 
  • 4 tablespoon light soy sauce 
  • 1 onion (sliced thinly) 
  • 4 chicken thigh (cut into bite size pieces) 
  • 4 eggs (break up yolks using chopsticks with a with zig-zag motion)

Preparation:
  • Mix the dashi, sugar, mirin, and soy sauce. Divide into four portions. 
  • In a small frying pan, heat up one portion of the mixture together with the onion. 
  • Add chicken thigh in the pan as the sauce heats up. 
  • Cover the pan and let the chicken cook. 
  • Pour the eggs into the pan and let simmer until egg is 90% done. 
  • Slip the entire mixture from the pan onto a steaming bowl of rice. 
  • Top with seaweed or spring onion if desired.

Number of servings: 4