Pasta with Mushroom Sauce

0 comments


This was what we had for lunch on Saturday.  What was planned for Saturday's lunch was a bowl of creamy mushroom soup and plate of warm pasta topped with tomato based sauce, with ham, onions and more mushrooms added on.  So what the hell happened?  Short answer is that I had a "misadventure" in the kitchen.

I should have known better and chucked the soup recipe long time ago.  As usual, I try and go for the simple stuff but this one was a horrible mistake.  The soup was no where near creamy the first time I tried it... so I decided to attempt it again on Saturday and ended up having more cream.  The proportion was way way way off.  I could only taste the cream and there was just not enough mushrooms to it.  It turned out to be worse than the first attempt.  I started to panic like hell seeing how I had ruined the soup and lunch time was nearing.  Hungry men are angry men, hungry children are beyond imagination.  I had to turn the whole situation around quickly to redeem myself.  The first idea that came to mind was to turn the pot of soup into pasta sauce and so I went with it, keeping my fingers and toes crossed, hoping for the best.

By the time I served up lunch, I was adamant that it was crap even before I tasted it.  But after I plucked up the courage and took the first bite I had to congratulate myself that it actually wasn't that bad.  Except I still think onions in cream sauce renders it a weird taste.

This is probably how I should go about with this dish the next time (after I recover from this terrible espisode!)...


Ingredients:

  • 3 portobello mushrooms (finely diced)
  • 20 swiss brown mushrooms (sliced)
  • 300 ml thicken cream
  • 500 ml chicken stock
  • 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
  • Pasta (pre-cooked)

Preparation:

  • Heat oil in frying pan and add in garlic.  Stir-fry till fragrant.
  • Add in portobello mushrooms and allow it to cook until juices start to run.
  • Add in swiss brown mushrooms.
  • Once the mushrooms are thoroughly cooked, pour in chicken stock slowly.
  • Allow the mixture to come to a boil and low heat slightly.
  • Stir in heavy cream and bring it to a simmer.
  • Serve sauce over pasta, with parsley flakes and freshly grounded black pepper for an added kick.

Number of Servings: 4